Tuesday, July 31, 2012

WOYWW - Small Batch Canning and Cross-Stitch Quilting

It's dark and quiet in the house, and what am I doing? Taking mini swatches of cross-stitch I've done and finding a new way to give them a future as a fun little quilt. What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday is already in progress halfway around the planet, so I'm taking pictures in the dark and joining in on a Tuesday night! This is the first step toward making my cute little cross-stitch quilt.

You can join the blog party at our hostess' blog here
Go ahead...take a peek at workdesks around the world!

Any little cross-stitch and embroidery I can find that will fit on a 4X5 piece of fabric is going in this piece. It will also have some mixed-media elements and a variety of fabrics.

I love this little Amish sewist I cross-stitched probably more than ten years ago.

My other busy workdesk was in the kitchen where I was small-batch canning. When the tomatoes start flowing out of the garden, faster than we can eat them up, I'll grab a few canning jars and in less than an hour, I've got some canned tomatoes for the cupboard! One small batch at a time.

I love how the yellow tomatoes look mixed with the red.
A few minutes out of the waterbath canner and the lids pop and seal.
When the tomatoes are fresh off the vine, I have to drop what I'm doing and fresh preserve!

Eat, Write, Dream & Stitch Happy.




 












14 comments:

  1. Sweet! Always was too scared to can. Worried that it may Turn bad? ,aybe I just have to try. Beautiful pics though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful assortment of craft goodness going on at both your desks.
    Sandra @36

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your desk looks lovely and busy!
    The canned tomotoes look yummy with the blend of yellow and red. I have done a lot of canning over the years but was always too afraid to can tomotoes. You are braver than me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. have fun making your mini quilt,those tomatoes look yummy
    have a super woyww
    kay #82

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I would too - nothing like fresh fruit and veg out of season! The quilt is a wonderful idea, such a nice way to preserve all the little bits and pieces that otherwise seem to be without purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a wonderful way of displaying your little cross stitches...it will make so much more of them in a quilt. The little sewing Amish lady is sweet.
    The canned tomatoes look wonderful, you are obviously in production mode. Great way to preserve them for a taste of summer in the depths of winter.
    Oh, you so definitely do NOT look 51!! We should form a 51 club together and PARTY!!!
    Hugs, LLJ #1 xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmmm lovely tomatoes... my favourite!
    A smashing idea to use up those little bits of stitching. Look forward to seeing it completed!
    Happy WOYWW! Victoria no.71

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea to make a quilt from those cross stitch pieces!! That picture of the tomatoes is awesome, such gorgeous colours! Trish #10

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness Sandy, you are such a busy girl! I am so mad that I am not going to get to canning and making jam this summer, I can just tell that it's not going to happen. My mom had a fall and has been in the hospital and now nursing home, and she needs someone there a lot because she is getting confused. And I am trying to get my county fair stuff done, and then before you know it fall will be here! Oh boy, time does fly when you are having fun, just like they say.
    Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving the really nice comment. It made me happy to read it. Sorry it took so long to write back! Have a great week and keep putting up posts of your projects, it is fun to see what you are doing! You're a regular Martha Stewart!
    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are one busy and super creative lady, TFS, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful desks.. love your cross stitch.. and your kitchen desk.. you can't get any fresher than that....lovely post... Hugs May x x x#12

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow impressed with both your projects! Thanks for sharing.
    Catherine 137

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your idea of the small cross-stitch quilt! Very neat idea.

    Lucky you, to have fresh veggies! A neighbor of mine brought down some fresh eggs and a couple of zucchini - yum!

    Happy WOYWW
    Hugs, Kay #31

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, I really hope you show your finished quilt when the time comes...I bet it will be stunning!

    Congrats on the tomatoes, where we live near Seattle we rarely get enough dun to turn them red!

    I'm having a giveaway, open worldwide this week. Come check it out if you get the chance!

    Amy E. #30
    scrapthissavethat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete