Monday, July 23, 2012

It's An Eat Write Dream Stitch Theme Week! Today We Eat Bread from the Garden!!


That's right, it's a hot summer's Monday, and a great reason to keep the kitchen cool and make something yummy in the ole bread machine! And I've created a yummy new garden bread recipe.



 This bread recipe all began when I was staring at my 15-year-old bread machine, wondering if I should throw it out. It's kind of large for a bread machine, because it doubles as a little oven and a toaster oven. It's an old Toastmaster Breadmaker's Hearth. It still works just fine, though, so I realized I just needed to use it! 

I got out the original recipe book that came with it, and found a recipe for "Rosemary Tomato Bread." But here's the funny thing. There is NO ROSEMARY listed in the recipe. I cracked up. It has cilantro and oregano. What the heck? So, I experimented and wrote my own recipe!






 The "tomato" in their recipe called for a can of vegetable juice. In my recipe, I use a jar of home-canned tomatoes, straining out the juice. You can also strain the juice from the fresh tomatoes in your garden too.

I chopped up fresh rosemary. That's right, I actually use "rosemary" in the rosemary bread! Ha ha!


The other ingredients include snipped sun-dried tomatoes (not the kind packed in oil), olive oil, and fresh-ground garlic sea salt. I love having the garlic sea salt around, I use it for a lot of things.

The recipe for Rosemary Garlic Tomato Bread - add one-fourth cup of sundried tomato

 Everyone's bread machine is different--mine makes a really tall, large loaf and uses 4 cups of flour each time, so you can adjust your ingredients according to your machine's size and specs.

Got my loaf pan all ready with the flour and yeast on top and the one-fourth cup of snipped sundried tomatoes ready to go. These were tomatoes from my garden last year, just like the canned tomatoes I used to strain the juice from. I dried them in my dehydrator last fall.
I used the light setting, and from mixing, kneading, and rising to baking, it took three hours.
A tall loaf! Very tall. My bread machine is hilarious.



Alright, I have to tell you how good this bread is. I really wasn't sure how this was going to turn out--but this bread has the best flavor. The sweetness of the tomatoes and the aromatic rosemary really bring out a wonderful flavor. Since fresh homemade bread needs to be used up quickly, I'm going to make my own croutons from this bread tomorrow. Fun!


Soooo good!
Experimenting with my bread machine and the ingredients I like was really fun and relaxing. My new blogger friend Victoria baked a fresh loaf of bread the other day, and ever since then I've had it on my mind to bake some bread! Thanks Victoria!

Eat happy. Come back tomorrow, and we'll Write!




















2 comments:

  1. *waves back* Hurrah for bread! This looks a really scrummy recipe.
    I'm really enjoying baking bread at the moment. Just normal loaves but so much tastier than supermarket ones. I do have a recipe for a herb spiral loaf which kind of looks like a swiss roll but with bread dough and herbs... I'm determined to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh yum! I can almost smell it from here! I have never baked bread.... I know I would have to sit and eat the entire loaf... nothing nicer than warm fresh bread :)

    ReplyDelete