Thursday, July 26, 2012

Stitch Happy

Today is the last of my blog-day theme week...Monday was "Eat"...Tuesday was "Write"...Wednesday was "Dream" combined with What's-On-Your-Workdesk-Wednesday...and today is "Stitch." What a fun way to spend the week, and I hope to do it again one week next month!

Threading a needle makes me happy. I don't know how else to say it. I love fabric, floss, hand sewing, machine sewing, knitting, sewing things onto things (applique) and there's always more to learn. My Aunt Margaret taught me basic knitting and crocheting when I was ten years old. I still have those old pink metal knitting needles and the little silver crochet hook. Maybe I'll pick up crochet again someday. I think my love of knitting grew even more when my daughter picked up my old pink knitting needles, and she never put them down. Now, like me, she has dozens of knitting needles and baskets of yarns. It's so fun to share this with her.
Minnie loves it when we knit.
  I love being at home, more than anywhere else, and stitching, baking, gardening, and scrapbooking make me feel happy, peaceful, and connected to everything. Writing reflects on all this and makes the circle complete. Besides that, there are even more reasons to thread a needle. Read about ten of them right here.
I can stitch and visit with people. I can stitch and watch a good movie. I can even stitch when I'm sick in bed! I've actually done this before, and it made me feel better. Of course, I'm talking about my favorite handwork stitching such as cross-stitch, embroidery, knitting, and any kind of piecing or applique I do by hand. However, I'm getting ready soon to spend some time at the sewing machine working on a few mixed-media projects and sewing myself an outfit. I'm excited! I'm sewing a dress!
Today I stitched a button onto a cardstock tag. I love sewing on paper too! I found directions on how to make your own knitting needles recently. I can't wait to try that. I have a perpetual shopping list for my favorite craft stores, and when their 40 and 50 percent off coupons come out each week, I try to go get at least one thing on my list of these wonderful new supplies and tools for sewing and crafting. New supplies keep your creativity fresh! I have a couple of big things on my list too--like a sewing machine that embroiders. However, I know several people who swear by their grandmother's old Singer sewing machine. I would love to have one of those treadle machines myself--in case the power goes off!
So I say, go ahead and get in touch with your inner stitching diva. We really are so fortunate that stitching is a leisure and a luxury, in a way. I was watching The Story of England on PBS, and they talked about the old knitting industry, where people worked all day long on these huge knitting frames to manufacture gloves and things. These people had to work long, hard days and pay extremely close attention to their machines. That's intense. Not really happy knitting in my mind. When I think of my knitting, I feel so peaceful and happy. Completely different story! Then I think too of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire in the early 1900's when so many young women lost their lives. They were worked ridiculously hard at sewing machines all day long--hardly allowed to take a break or go to the restroom. That was misery and heartache, and it hurts to think about it now. So I do know that the luxury and leisure we have to enjoy this pastime on our terms is truly a blessing. I am not manufacturing. I am creating. And that's the difference. It's fun, relaxing, and rewarding. I have no rules. No boss. No deadline (except my own). This is a great time in history to stitch!











4 comments:

  1. I bet Minnie does love it when you knit... and I bet she's been known to play with yarn on occasion! She does look remarkably peaceful in that photo though! My inner stitching diva does not come out when I try to knit as I drop stitches all over the place and then the thing unravels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly - making things is one of the satisfying things you can do!! Mind you, I also love sitting outdoors with my boys while we're all doing sociable jobs like shelling our broad bean harvest for example- I adore doing something while chatting with someone else. I think knitting groups or quilting bees or even Julia's scrapbooking crops are the bees knees!!
    Hugs, LLJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love that phrase, "the bees knees." I want to stitch it! Shelling beans and hanging out with your boys sounds like the perfect afternoon too!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the sub! And I love how you letter your work. I wish I could use a sewing machine..lol. I would stick myself and end up stitching myself to the fabric. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete