Friday, July 27, 2012

Nesting

Being the lazy baker I am sometimes...I made a cake from a cake mix. But all I had was a dark chocolate cake mix, and a white buttercream frosting. Put them together, and it was pretty good!
The next thing I knew, I was enjoying a bowl-o-cake, and cleaning out a cupboard full o bowls! I came to a realization about myself...I kinda like nesting bowls! Why is that? Is there some psychological significance to that? Or maybe...I just like how happy they look. I don't know! But I never get tired of my nesting bowls. I really do use them! I find them at retail stores, our wholesale club, catalogs and flea markets too.
I can't live without my Williams-Sonoma French tempered glass bowls. I think there are 11 here and I've had these for about 15 years. I use them to get ingredients measured and prepped and they are fine to use for melting chocolate in a double-boiler situation.
I got these at Sam's for about seventeen dollars. A few weeks later, I saw these same bowls in someone's flea market booth and they had marked them up to fifty dollars! So you have to be careful, and be a smart shopper.
My mom gave me these cute vintage metal bowls she got an auction. Whenever I use vintage bowls or dishes, I always wonder who once cooked with them and what they served.
I use these white nesting bowls a lot. I'm always mixing something in them, and they are pretty to serve in too. They make food colors pop.
I got my sweet little Chinese bowls at a discount store, of all places, for practically nothing. A few weeks later, they didn't even have them anymore, so it must have been a fluke. Always keep your eyes open!
I painted these heart-shaped bowls when my daughter was little, and we went to a local pottery painting studio that a good friend of mine owned. Those were the days! Painting pottery is so relaxing!
I like nesting cookie cutters...
...and dolls too! Hmmm. Do I have a problem here? Tee hee!






6 comments:

  1. No, you don't have a problem!! I completely get the addiction to nesting/stacking things. I think it must stem from when we were children...my favourite thing was to put toys in boxes, stack up tumblers and bricks etc. It's still the same, just with bowls now :D
    Hugs LLJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, you must be right! I stacked tumblers and boxes and things when I was little too. That's a good insight. Crafty hugs dearest!

      Delete
  2. Ah, I remember that pottery store-owning friend! ;)

    I, too, have an obsession with bowls. That's why we're friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Susan! How I thought of you when I wrote this, and how I miss the days when you owned Firehouse Pottery!!! Miss your beautiful face too! Is it hot Austin?

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a great collection! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete