Saturday, July 10, 2010

Seven Days of Aprons--Go Bananas Baking Day

Saturday's apron honors the traditional baking day of the week--a day when a girl could truly lose her mind and go bananas. It is light and airy, just the way a vintage housewife wanted her Saturday baked goods. Saturday was probably her busiest day of the week, because she still had the morning work to do, maybe some leftover laundry and ironing, and she wanted to prepare the dessert ahead of time for Sunday dinner. Then the whole afternoon was devoted to baking breads and pies for the week. All I can think of is, wonder woman or insane asylum.
The bib of my Saturday baking apron is, in fact, two vintage-style bread sacks. They are a bit faded and stained--which makes me like them even more for an apron! I did not go bananas making this one, at all. It was quite easy and went together pretty quick. So, guess what, I had time to bake banana bread! Here's the low-sugar recipe I use and a few pictures. These little baby banana breads will be great for dessert tomorrow. However, I'm looking out the window and I see my husband mowing--he might be pretty hungry later.
 
Saturday Baking Banana Bread
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cups Splenda No Calorie Sweetner
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
1 stick light butter, softened
1/2 cup egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Orange Glaze
1 fresh squeezed orange (may not use it all--I only used about half the juice today)
3/4 cup to 1 cup powdered sugar (can use Splenda powdered sugar)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir banana, butter, egg sub., and vanilla together and add all at once, stirring until just blended. Spoon batter into little greased loaf pans and bake 30 to 35 minutes. Slowly pour the orange juice into the powdered sugar, stirring until it reaches a nice thick consistency. Cool the breads, and drizzle on the orange glaze. The glaze will set, and you can keep these refrigerated, or serve them today.

 Now, back to the apron. It is finished with wide cream-colored ribbon ties, and a cute pocket from a completely different fabric I picked out to go with my apron skirt. Baking day is done!

Eat, write, dream, stitch and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment