Saturday, July 24, 2010

Save the Sugar Slaw

I barely remember planting cabbage in the garden. I have never grown cabbage before and it was definitely an experiment. But, today, there it was, in all its glory next to the chive patch--this big, gorgeous head of cabbage! 

We picked it, and set it aside for a bit, because I was busy canning a dozen more jars of salsa--the tomatoes are coming on in bushels. But once the salsa-making got under control, I decided to try a sugar-free coleslaw recipe, since one of the things that bugs me about coleslaw is how high in carbs it is!


Sugar-Free Coleslaw

4 cups shredded cabbage
2 tablespoons low-fat mayo
about 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Splenda or other sugar substitute
salt and pepper to taste

Toss it all together and enjoy. That's it!


I LOVE this coleslaw. Of course, I realize, I am eating cabbage that was picked less than an hour ago, which I'm sure contributes to the incredible flavor. But still, unbeknownst to future attendees of bbq's at my house, I'm serving this slaw! And next year, I'm planting a whole cabbage patch.


Eat from the garden today.

No comments:

Post a Comment