Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Little Rustic Cross-Stitch Quilt

I love sewing collage. A little quilt hanging seemed like the perfect way to put together a scrap here and a scrap there.

On a trip to visit family last summer, I went overboard cross-stitching hearts. I had no idea what I was going to do with them. I just created a big aida cloth square filled with hearts, because I didn't need to look at a pattern, and I love hearts, and then I put it away. This, however, was the beginning inspiration piece for my little rustic love quilt. From there, it all seemed to come together. During our trip, my mother-in-law gave my daughter and I some precious vintage brooches, and one of the brooches--a flower--found its place on the little quilt, holding down some scraps of ribbon.
 This little Amish cross-stitch couple says their I-do's at the top of the quilt--an old broken strand of pearls was sewn on underneath, in honor of the bride.

A tiny lovebird cross-stitch which used to hang puffed in a little wooden frame had fallen apart, so it was stuck in my cross-stitch drawer and found its new place on a little quilt about love.
The quilt is made of three layers of fabric ticking--no batting--and is quite sturdy. Little ribbon loops are sewn at the top for hanging. The bottom area features another little cross-stitch of our couple's Amish closet, and the letters for Home. Other fabric scraps, sequins, old-old buttons, and trim were added to the collage until it felt to me like it was finished. I love it!

Eat well. Write often. Dream happy. Stitch a little love.



The only way to travel with your needlework!

1 comment:

  1. wow, I used to do a lot of cross stitch & have small finished pieces in a drawer unframed & unseen. I'm so inspired to do something. My Mom & I have been wanting to try quilting. We have an idea thanx to you.

    ReplyDelete