Friday, April 8, 2011

Beach Picnic Salad

Vintage Recipe Friday has an old-fashioned corn salad, fit to pack up and take to the beach with some cold chicken, fresh rolls and ice tea. Yum!

****************************
FRESH CORN SALAD
Serves 4 to 6

INGREDIENTS
5 ears corn, shucked
1/2 cup diced red onion
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 tablespoons good olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves

DIRECTIONS
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the corn for 3 minutes until the starchiness is just gone. Drain and immerse it in ice water to stop the cooking and to set the color. When the corn is cooked, cut the kernels off the cob, cutting close to the cob. 

Toss the kernels in a large bowl with the red onions, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Just before serving, toss in the fresh basil. Taste for seasonings and serve cold or at room temperature.
****************************



 



I hope to make it to the flea market this weekend--I'm always looking for vintage home economic text books, old chintz tea cups and quilts to cut up. 




I don't need yarn, but I still love to shop for it! 
We have a favorite yarn shop that has all the really unique stuff, and it is soothing just to walk around and look at it, pet it, and dream.

Oh my goodness...we also have a wedding this weekend (I love weddings) and rehearsals and singing in the choir...when will I get to stitch? I'm sure I will, at least a little. Sleep would be nice too. Happy weekend dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment