Friday, March 4, 2011

Vintage Recipe Friday--A Cafeteria Lady Classic

 Cafeteria Lady NoBake Cookies is what I call today's vintage recipe. 

This particular Cafeteria Lady had worked in school cafeterias for decades, and cleaned one of my friends' houses--anytime she could share her famous recipe for nobake cookies which had no doubt delighted thousands of children for many years, she did. (I have great respect for cafeteria ladies) So here it is. Simple, tried and true. I've made it many times, and hope to make another batch soon!


CAFETERIA LADY NOBAKE COOKIES

2 cups sugar
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup, heaping, cocoa
Stir in a saucepan and boil for 3 minutes

Take off the heat and add
1 cup peanutbutter
3 cups oatmeal
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preferably use an icecream scoop and scoop the mixture out onto wax paper or sheet pans to cool. These are delicious! I have also substituted some Splenda for the sugar, and they were just as good. It must be the butta! (that's how we say "butter" at my house)


I love Fridays! Even though it is supposed to thunderstorm here in the Ozarks today--I always look forward to the weekend whether I have a lot planned to do...or I just plan to be lazy! Happy eating, writing, dreaming, and stitching!



No comments:

Post a Comment