Monday, October 18, 2010

Dreaming Up Candle Jar Jewelry


Who can resist a bead sale - even if you don't make jewelry? My daughter and I were shopping for yarn at Hobby Lobby, and all the beads were half off. Looking at dozens and dozens of beautiful sparkling beads made me dream about fabulous mixed-media projects, and I stocked up on plenty of pretty glass beads. Next, I went to a local garden greenhouse and gift shop. This place has the kind of gift shop that you can get lost in all afternoon, and that's where I noticed they sold candle jar jewelry--their jar jewelry was Halloween themed and really cute. I loved it. After purchasing a few other items, like the cutest little birdies in their nests, I went right home and started stringing beads! I had to make my own candle jar jewelry! Even though I had seen gorgeous Halloween decorating, I was not in that kind of decorating mood. I was feeling very beachy! I made plenty of ice tea, and let the beading begin.
I think stringing beads is probably one of the most relaxing things you can do; I used to sit and string beads with my daughter all the time and we were always stocked up on beads.

By making my own jar jewelry, I could try it on and make it just the right size. I think you definitely want to use glass beads though - not plastic which could get too heated. (Follow all safety precautions when using jar candles.) Although I can't let go of summer, I have decided that for my Christmas open house I'm going with cinnamon jar candles and Christmas-themed jar jewelry!

We had a gorgeous weekend of weather here in the Ozarks, and I threw open all the doors onto my greenhouse sunroom, soaked up the sun and had a lovely afternoon decorating my candle jars! I was having so much fun with my new glass beads, I even made a hippie ankle bracelet, kinda wishing I was near a beach where I could walk barefoot in the sand. Obviously, it doesn't take much to get me in the summer mood again and longing for the ocean!

 "The cure for anything is salt water; sweat, tears or the sea."
--Isak Dinesen



No comments:

Post a Comment