Monday, October 11, 2010

Eat a rainbow today and feel good

Lately I can't get enough baby portobello mushrooms and spring salad mix. Don't forget the bacos! Although the "red" in my food rainbow in the salad comes from fresh tomato, still trickling out of the garden, and my purple is courtesy of "red" onion slices. If I threw in a few blueberries, I'd have it made. My favorite salad topper is a few parmesan crisps--made by making little piles of freshly grated parmesan in a nonstick skillet and cooking gently until crisp.

"I always laid vegetables out in a circle, each with its own section like a slice of pie. There were five slices: red cabbage, onions, leeks, carrots and turnips. I had used a knife edge to shape each slice, and placed a carrot disk in the center."
--Girl with a Pearl Earring, by Tracy Chevalier




"As for rosemary, I let it run all over my garden walls, not only because my bees love it, but because it is the herb sacred to remembrance and to friendship, whence a sprig of it hath a dumb language."
--Sir Thomas More




No comments:

Post a Comment