So there you go.
Oh, and I'm not a fan of using a pattern! I tend to free-stitch and make things up as I go along. This can be good and bad...and I'm showing all the warts here! Mistakes that I made because of the fact I didn't use a pattern. I think the next bag will be even better though!
|I started by cutting up fabric scraps.|
|This denim was a little boring--so I quickly embroidered these patches.|
|I realized I wanted a lot of embroidery--and I found some my talented mother-in-law stitched, decades ago!|
|This one is one of my faves--she looks like Snow White!|
|There's a little owl I embroidered a few months ago.|
This looks pretty easy right? And it is easy to stitch the patches together. But here's what happened...not all the rows seem to line up perfectly when I started to stitch rows together. I have no idea why, because I did stitch the patches pretty uniformly--and they are all measured fairly perfectly. So who knows--it's a good thing I don't care if it's perfect!
I was pretty excited when I got each side done. I had to lay them out and admire them for a day or two!
|Even after ironing my pieces--with a regular iron, not this one--there was a stubborn wrinkle, so I set this extremely old, very heavy iron on it for a couple of days!|
|I love the butterfly patch here--it's from a pair of jeans my daughter used to wear when she was ten!|
The other bottom strip stitched up just fine. So then, I used some iron-on paper to add some chintz fabric for the lining, and also to stiffin it up--that's when it started to feel like a real bag! Mistake number two: I was so excited about the eyelets, that I put them into the top strip (to eventually attach to the strap) before I had stitched the sides together. I had put them way too close to the edge!
|The bottom strip seemed a little boring on this side--so I appliqued a heart!|
I added button holes for the bag's closure too. I love these flower eyelets.
I used the clip that was already part of one side of the lanyard, then added an eyelet and a ring to the other side to attach my strap.
|The green satin patch is from my costume I wore in the King and I--and I stitched a crochet flower to another patch.|
EAT, WRITE, DREAM, AND STITCH IT YOUR WAY EVERY DAY.