Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My February Theme Is from the Heart

We are completely snowed in and I've been knitting my heart out!  

After several tries, and a few failures, I've perfected my little knitted heart pattern. You should try knitting a heart--it's fast, simple, and can be a great embellishment to another piece, or with some added beads or ribbon, it can be a special Valentine--especially with red or pink yarn. I wanted to knit with this snow-white sequined yarn, and I love how the sequins lay. It's a nice chunky texture, and I'm happy with the results.

Here are the instructions for knitting a heart. Knit in garter stitch throughout.


Cast on two stitches.
Row 1: Knit.
Row 2: Knit, increase 1 stitch.
Row 3: Knit.
Row 4: Knit 1, increase 1, knit 1, increase 1, knit (should have 5 stitches)
Row 5: Knit.
Row 6: Knit, inc 1, knit, inc 1 in the next 2 stitches, knit (9 stitches)
Row 7: Knit.

Now, in the next row, inc 1 st. on both ends. Next row, knit. Alternate this way with the rows until there are 19 stitches.

Knit 9 rows even.

I used a strand of ribbon yarn as a holder for one side.
Next row: K2tog, K7, bind off next stitch, K to within last 2 sts, K2tog. There should now be 16 stitches. Put a holder on one side in 8 stitches, and work the other side separately as follows: K2tog on each end, every other row until 2 sts remain. Bind off. Go back to the other side and do the same. Weave any tails back in and snip. Now you are ready to decorate your heart with beads, sequins and/or ribbon--or stitch your heart onto a bag (it would make a great pocket), squares for a blanket, a scarf, or any kind of embellishment.


I'm having a lot of fun knitting these hearts. I have done a stack of ribbon yarn hearts, in a pretty pink-to-purple varigated color. I need a run to the yarn store, though, to get a really nice, Valentiney red. But I'll need a sled!

My daughter and I are ready to make the hot chocolate, put in a movie, and keep clicking our sticks!








A real snow-white heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment