Sunday, August 8, 2010

Dishcloths in a Day

Sugar 'n Cream makes me want to dream. That is, sugar and cream cotton yarns. I love that stuff for knitting scarves, hats, stuffed animals, and of course, dishcloths. You can often find it on sale for $1 a skein--so there's no problem in knitting it for something you're going to use to clean dishes and wipe surfaces. (I think the brand name is Lily Original Sugar 'n Cream) Making my own knitted dishcloths is just one of those little things that makes me happy, and the all-cotton yarns are perfect for them. So yesterday, inbetween repotting plants and doing some cleaning, I knitted 3 little dishcloths. I have made different sizes, but the little square dishcloths seem to be my favorite size. I don't really want them any wider. I cast on about 20 to 25 stitches, knit 2 or 3 rows and then stockinette, and then when it looks about right, I knit a few rows before casting off. When I have little bits of skeins of different colors left, I knit them all together into a crazy dishcloth! The color tends to fade over time and use...so eventually they end up cleaning cars and things outside. When you need more, you can just make some tea, sit down, relax and knit a few. 


Just remember to use more of a cotton yarn and save your fancy yarns for something special.

Stitch happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment