Why make your own envelopes? The biggest reason is because, most purchased envelopes are white! I think the joy of making your own envelopes is that--
1. You can make an envelope to match the card
2. Your envelope can be as unique as the card inside
3. Mixed-media cards fit better in homemade envelopes
4. You can make an envelope out of any piece of paper as long as you cut it to the dimensions needed.
What a great way to upcycle.
5. There are many scoreboards out there to choose from that make it sooo easy to do! There is even a scoreboard that clips out the little triangles. I don't mind doing that by hand though.
I wish, back in the day when DD was in grade school that they had had these scoreboards available! I would have done things like, made envelopes out of copies of her daily school papers to send things in a fun way to the grandparents for example. So cute! But now I do make envelopes out of sheets of music, dictionary papers, even pages from vintage recipe and craft books. Pretty adorable.
So, being a happy envelope maker, imagine my thrill at discovering a mini scoreboard! I didn't know if it would work as well. Same brand as my big one--50% off coupon that day--the verdict is, I think I love it even more.
|Mini scoreboard front - still in package|
|Mini scoreboard back|
Those guidelines allow you to simply line up your paper, once you've cut it to the dimensions, and quickly score it!
Use your handy little bone folder to neatly fold down the flaps, add a little glue to seal the bottom flaps, and done. You may use envelope gum for the top flap--I don't really worry about that, I just use a sticker if I'm sealing it. And I have to add that I've even had a postman at the post office comment on my pretty envelopes! No more envy-loping for me. Have fun!
|My larger scoreboard--I love making envelopes with double-sided paper!|
Eat, Write, Dream, Stitch, Score