Tuesday, July 23, 2013

WOYWW #216--We Found Harry!

Long ago before she ever cared about Harry Potter, I bought the first Harry Potter book when my daughter was barely in first grade at her grade school book fair--it was the first U.S. printing of the Scholastic edition. It looked interesting, but I had no idea what it was. Fast forward several years, and she's Harry Potter's biggest fan...so she was not happy when I couldn't find that first book I bought. Of course, she has all the books and movies, but that particular edition was highly sentimental to her.

So this weekend, I'm cleaning out the craft corner--oh, welcome to What's On Your Workdesk-Wednesday by the way--and there, under my secretary desk (which I never show) was a basket of cute pillows I had cross-stitched, and there was Harry! Covered up by some homemade tote bags, he went unnoticed and hidden, as if using his magic cloak, for years. Too funny. Daughter was not amused! (she is now 19) But she was happy to have sentimental Harry in her arms again, never to let him go, and we really did have a good laugh about it. We had been looking for that book everywhere.


So yes, I did a big, huge, back-breaking cleanout and reorganization to utilize more of the space in my secretary desk. Although here on my worktable it seems messy--trust me it's not, I even have the leaf down. I have my art journal and calendar and a cross-stitch motif design book out because I'm using them...a little photo reframing project...and I'm cross-stitching a tag. See? I've got mad skills and plans!


Replacing a very old frame of an old photo of little me!
The entire bottom shelving of the secretary desk I never show was crammed with old magazines, notebooks, crafty things not in use at all...it was just a storage wearhouse. I snapped a pic after I cleaned out the bottom. Then I sorted, tossed, and rearranged so that now I can use the space so much better with things I really need to access. Ahhh. What a relief. Here is the before and after of the secretary desk. And let me say congratulations to our British deskers on the arrival of a new future king! It was so exciting, waiting for the news!
Eat, Write, Dream, Stitch, Organize

18 comments:

  1. Especially love the before and after of the last picture. Wish it was that easy. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to find a missing treasure!! What a sort out you have had - love the look. Helen 7

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my, he cloaked himself well all these years didnt he, you were so cute when you were young, probably still cute now lol
    Bridget #24

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurrah! You found Harry! I remember reading the first HP when it came out and wasn't at all famous to my son! My daughter is nineteen too and went off on holiday with her friends to Cyprus at 4.30 am this morning! I am missing her like mad already! I love that beautiful photo of little you - how serious you look: are you planning lots of lovely craft projects and makes to do when you're a grown-up? Julie Ann #17 x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect photo of you as a child - one to be treasured I think. Glad Harry turned up eventually - I hate losing stuff. x Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that does look so much better and it is such a sweet desk.
    Karen #77

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Sandy that is the cutest photo! And well done on finding Harry - am hoping for that sort of serendipity myself - with a bunch of crochet hooks..the 'safe place' is a gonner!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cutest photo and super bit of sorting out and tidying up! Ialways seem to have the same amunt of room left after a clear out though...can't figure out why I never end up with more room!!!!! Happy WOYWW! #87

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sandy
    I bet your little girl (because that is how we still see them) is a very happy little girl to have her book back. we have a habit of piling things up and then forget what is at the bottom of that pile, treasure in your house
    Sending a hug for WOYWW and I hope you have a great week
    Ria #44

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving another house of piles, hurray. I do like that pink mat on the secretary desk too.

    Lynda #1

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the before and after photos! I still have all my Harry Potter books and movies too, and I am FAR from 19 yrs old..LOL
    Krisha #22

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy WOYWW, I love the before and after,
    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can you come round to mine please?! DH has lost some paperwork and swears it's in my craft room!! lol
    Great Job done.
    Bishopsmate #76

    ReplyDelete
  14. great! I am doing some stamp reorganization this afternoon (taking a break as you can see LOL!) Happy WOYWW Lindsay 104

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's strange isn't it when we stop looking for something it suddenly turns up. when I have a tidy up I find all sorts of things I forgot had.
    have a good week ( I am going to try and post the lace book at the weekend
    janet #24

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes it is always amazing what we find when having a clean up, its a great way to reacquaint yourself with your forgotten stash. Pleased to hear you found your long lost book too! Happy WOYWW! Danie #72

    ReplyDelete
  17. You were a really adorable as a child. I love all your colorful boxes on your desk. I have been trying to organize this past week too. It gives me stress. I usually end up with half my house torn apart trying to organize stuff out of one box. I'm trying to find a small jar of sparkly sones, and I have no clue where it is. After trying to organize some of my ephemera this week, I'm afraid to even try and find it. Well Happy Hump Day. (((HUGS)))
    Kim
    WOYWW #44

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its amazing how much space we can create by having a sort out- and how many forgotten treasures we find. Have a great week, Hugs Shaz #70 xx

    ReplyDelete