Thursday, June 20, 2013

Loving My Yarn Life

I stumbled upon a very dated photo of me (on the top left) knitting in a class as a freshman in high school. I was probably barely 14 and it was around 1975. The girl on the far right is my friend Teresa, whom I had the joy of rediscovering her at a high school reunion last year, and now we get to be friends again, and she is absolutely as lovely, all these years later. What a huge blessing to rediscover dear friends like that!

I sort of feel like that about my yarn life too. My aunt taught me to knit and crochet when I was only ten. I didn't do it consistently, and I think whole decades went by without my picking up a knitting needle--but now, it is definitely another form of yoga for me. I've become a little co-dependent on a lot of my crafty loves--but yarn is the one thing that never lets me down. I always have a bowl of it, and I'm always making something, and when my needles are clicking together, the fabric that is produced right before my eyes is still like a miracle to me.

A saying I saw recently, "money can't buy happiness, but it can buy yarn, which is the same thing," made me think that the only thing that makes me happier than buying more yarn, is getting it on sale too!

There are many many things I am thankful for and happy about, and of course family tops the list. It just tickles me that one of these many things is as simple as a ball of yarn and two knitting needles.

Eat, Write, Dream, Stitch, Knit



No comments:

Post a Comment