Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Making a Midori - Handmade Gifts are the Best

I have a very sweet sweet older sister, and wanted to make her a Midori for a gift from my handmade heart to hers as she lives clear across the country from me. To make it special, and one of a kind, this Dolldori--the Stitchydori's I make with matryoshka doll fabric--start with felt cut to the extra-wide Midori size. I add a pocket and an applique to the inside front cover, and some hand embroidery with pearl cotton #5 floss to the back cover.
I use a heat bond to iron the felt to the fabric, and then I stitch a decorative seam all around the edge. I do not "finish" the edge though, because it doesn't really fray that much...and I know because I've been using my Stitchydori's for months...and what little fray there is adds to the character. After that is all stitched, I add the grommet hardware, elastics and charms for the front and the spine. For my Dolldori's, a matryoshka ceramic bead goes on the front.
 For Kathleen's one-of-a-kind dori, I added a Disney princess charm to the back!
I also made her booklets, including a 2016 planner. I used the scrapbook paper pad from MAMBI for the covers. The booklets I make for myself are decorated with stamps, stickers and washi to within an inch of their life! 
      Take a peek at how I decorated my Midori booklets

But when creating booklets for someone else, or for sale, I leave room for the dori owner to do their own decorating. I did add just a little to my sister's as it was a gift.
I'm working on replenishing my sale supply of Stitchydori's! They are so much fun to make and to have. I can't do a day without my dori.

Eat, Write, Dream, Stitch


4 comments:

  1. You made me chuckle with your comment on can't do a day without your Dori.
    Thank you for your lovely comments on my fe!t hanging Sandy
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that fabric - what a great starting point for your wonderful little books. I know your sister must be thrilled to have one of her own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, not a tutorial. Must have misunderstood. Very cute though! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had to look up the midori! Deskers certainly learn on their travels, I love it.
    Have a good week
    Bishopsmate #27

    ReplyDelete