Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Making a Midori - Handmade Gifts are the Best

I have a very sweet sweet older sister, and wanted to make her a Midori for a gift from my handmade heart to hers as she lives clear across the country from me. To make it special, and one of a kind, this Dolldori--the Stitchydori's I make with matryoshka doll fabric--start with felt cut to the extra-wide Midori size. I add a pocket and an applique to the inside front cover, and some hand embroidery with pearl cotton #5 floss to the back cover.
I use a heat bond to iron the felt to the fabric, and then I stitch a decorative seam all around the edge. I do not "finish" the edge though, because it doesn't really fray that much...and I know because I've been using my Stitchydori's for months...and what little fray there is adds to the character. After that is all stitched, I add the grommet hardware, elastics and charms for the front and the spine. For my Dolldori's, a matryoshka ceramic bead goes on the front.
 For Kathleen's one-of-a-kind dori, I added a Disney princess charm to the back!
I also made her booklets, including a 2016 planner. I used the scrapbook paper pad from MAMBI for the covers. The booklets I make for myself are decorated with stamps, stickers and washi to within an inch of their life! 
      Take a peek at how I decorated my Midori booklets

But when creating booklets for someone else, or for sale, I leave room for the dori owner to do their own decorating. I did add just a little to my sister's as it was a gift.
I'm working on replenishing my sale supply of Stitchydori's! They are so much fun to make and to have. I can't do a day without my dori.

Eat, Write, Dream, Stitch


8 comments:

  1. You made me chuckle with your comment on can't do a day without your Dori.
    Thank you for your lovely comments on my fe!t hanging Sandy
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that fabric - what a great starting point for your wonderful little books. I know your sister must be thrilled to have one of her own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, not a tutorial. Must have misunderstood. Very cute though! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had to look up the midori! Deskers certainly learn on their travels, I love it.
    Have a good week
    Bishopsmate #27

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! dekbedovertrekken

    ReplyDelete
  6. A craft table is an essential piece of furniture for people who love to work on handmade projects, especially if you have a hobby or sewing room dedicated to your favorite activities. best sewing table

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tough economic times have hit some people harder than others and they may be looking for ways to save when Christmas shopping for the best Christmas presents 2010.  wiki

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone wants to give the perfect corporate gift. Mainly because it is a great business tool for growing a business, keeping and gaining customers and building a solid foundation for the future. Here are some tip on corporate gifts that should help you achieve these goals. click

    ReplyDelete