Wednesday, September 25, 2013

WOYWW 225 -- Dollhouse Dreamin' ♥

My dollhouse--freshening up the colors with scrapbook papers and paint.
 Happy WOYWW! I've just been working around the house--my dollhouse that is.

Visit What's-On-Your-Workdesk-Wednesday's blog party.

One day I realized how dusty and stagnant my dollhouse had gotten, and I wanted to give it a total refresh. I also decided I wanted to create a little craft studio in my dollhouse--although many of my furnishings have been traditional.
Divider screen for the craft studio--paint and then decoupage on plain cardboard!

Then, I was staring at my scrapbook papers--some of my newer fun, pretty ones, and it hit me! Wallpaper with my favorite scrapbook paper! Put little sayings I like on the walls! Paint with abandon! Sew cool curtains and pillows. Knit cute kitchen rugs. Make little flags and buntings!
After the modpodge dries--wrap the border in washi tape and done!

So here I am--suddenly obsessed with a new project. Lord help me. But it is oh so fun.
How the craft room dividing screen looks after decoupage and washi tape.
My work is cut out for me now--there is plenty of sewing, gluing, and painting to do for the next couple of weeks. I love it! I can do a little each day. What is really fun about this whole thing is that I'm starting to feel like my dollhouse is turning into a living scrapbook in a way, with all the beautiful scrapbook papers I'm using for wall paper--there will be stamping around the base of it--cute pictures and papers framed for the walls--no limits! I have seen some blogs where people are afraid to try these things on their dollhouses...they think they have to be so careful and traditional. Really though, if something doesn't work I just paint or glue over it--no biggie. It's just a dollhouse.
I took off those nasty dust-catching shingles--painting the roof periwinkle!
So...you might be seeing this project on my workdesk for a while. It's one of those things that combines everything--sewing, scrapbooking, decorating, painting (it's been perfect painting weather) and even a little mini carpentry work! I'm doing a tiny quilt for the cast iron sofa (which once lived in my dollhouse I had as a little girl) and there will be flowers, vines and ribbon on the outside too. It is going to live in a new location on my greenhouse sunporch, so the floral effect will be perfect.

I don't know why I'm such a nut about dollhouses--but this little dollhouse story may turn into a book before it's all done! Have a great week.


Eat, Write, Dream, Stitch, Play

16 comments:

  1. Wow, Sandy, I am loving the idea of your dolls' house project - a living scrap book is such a wonderful idea! It's looking great too. I can't wait to see what more you do with it! Julie Ann xx #35

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy, so glad for you to be having such fun with your dollhouse remodel! Life is too short to feel constrained by "shoulds" (well, except for not breaking the law, etc. -- ha, ha). I love the background on your blog, by the way. It looks like Basic Grey patterned papers -- gorgeous. Happy WOYWW from Laura #89

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your attitude is great..some people are so uptight about dollhouses, how everything has to be perfect and to scale.... I bet you enjoy yours a whole lot more! Dollhouse items are very expensive here in the UK, is it different in the States? I have a friend in York who buys the most exquisite little things for her houses but I know she pays a lot for them....
    Have fun making your stuff and don't forget to show how it all turns out!
    Hugs, LLJ 33xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How brilliant to revamp your dollshouse, it's looking so fresh and beautiful. I don't like to see the old fashioned ones that are just ornaments. If you've got something as beautiful as this you need to have fun with it. Can't wait to see your progress.
    Thanks for stopping by already.
    Hugs Lisax #58

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh isn't it fun when you get your teeth stuck into a new project like this?! Your dollhouse is looking wonderful, I bet you'll keep thinking of more little bits and pieces to make for it!
    Kate #85

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my what fun you will have! Keep us updated won't you? Looking great so far. MMx #48

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that looks fabulous, love your dollhouse transformation!
    Happy WOYWW
    xx Monique

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh I love dollshouses! Sooo can't wait to see what you do with yours!! :) :) Lx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these houses, so different, thanks for sharing, Donna #54

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my what fun...I love when I just go off on a spark of ideas. I love all thing miniature...looking forward to more...I joined your blog...I'm Jiminy Cricket Thanks for sharing. Be well I'm happy to get in before 100...I'm #99 Carole

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh Sandy what a fabulous idea I love it ... I have had a dolls house in my craft room (under construction) for about 2 years maybe I should start working on it again. watch this space. I will follow you so I can keep up with how you are getting on
    Have a great week and happy Wednesday
    janet #48

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such a neat idea--turning a dollhouse into a 3D scrapbook. I've seen paper that is actually called "Scrapbook wallpaper" so why not use design paper for wall paper? What a fun project! You'll have so much fun with this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always fancied the idea of a dollshouse but never got around to it - I guess because I think I'd never finish it! Good luck with your project, Cindy #70

    ReplyDelete
  14. yes, why not write a book about your dollhouse project? as you said, it's not like the traditional ones. and i love it! very creative, in fact. i never had a dollhouse as a child. after reading this post, i think a new interest is lit in my soul. and thanks for visiting my blog. ('still doing the rounds ...) alpha shanahan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow love your dollhouse, you have your crafting cut out for you. I am go glad I am ending in 8 today so you could visit me lol
    Bridget #78

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow! the dollhouse is amazing! Happy WOYWW! Lindsay #28

    ReplyDelete