Thursday, June 7, 2012

Happy Eighteenth Birthday Card - Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Day?

I am not the most experienced or fanciest cardmaker in the universe. But, if you have enough scrapbooking goodies on hand...you can definitely make some magic. I wanted to make a special card for my sweet daughter turning 18--something more personal than a store-bought card.

I started with just plain white card stock...scored and folded it...and then had no idea what I was going to do. But she loves photography and film, so I drew a picture of a camera, and wrote "eighteen" on it...I found some stickers and even the really cute "Love You" tag--I love cards with tags hanging on them! And I added these sparkling photo corners which I also carried to the inside.



From some gorgeous scrap pad paper I found one that highlighted Shakespeare's 18th Sonnet--perfect for the inside of a Happy Eighteenth Birthday card! Then I added a picture from her senior photo shoot.

A closeup of my camera!

The back of the card reminds her to not stress out, but relax and enjoy her eternal summer before college!

Shakespeare's Eighteenth Sonnet:
Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimmed,
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance, or nature's changing course untrimmed:
But thy eternal summer shall not fade,
Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow'st,
Nor shall death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou grow'st,
   So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
   So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

What a dreamy sonnet for your eighteenth birthday!



No comments:

Post a Comment