Monday, April 13, 2015

A Morning on the Greenhouse

I am loving this fresh spring air and being able to enjoy my morning coffee on my greenhouse sunporch. It is not heated, so I'm never out there in the middle of winter--except to water all the plants: some that I'm overwintering, and others that just live there year-round like my aloe veras and Christmas cactuses. Our deck is torn down, and I can't wait for the new one! But in the meantime, life is good on the greenhouse.
With my oatmeal and banana and coffee, I stitched and watched crafty videos on my tablet. This is my busy basket that I throw things in to take into different rooms, depending on my what I'm doing.
 Minnie is my constant companion, and was right next to me.
I love my Christmas cactus plants - even though they only bloom in November and December. We always put a Christmas tree on the greenhouse - so it becomes very festive out there.
My seeds are growing! Happy happy! I have them on the sunniest, warmest end of the greenhouse next to a huge aloe vera plant. In case you don't know the tragic story of my biggest aloe vera plant, read it here. But don't worry, it has a happy ending, and that aloe vera plant became so huge, I had to divide it...so I now have two huge aloe veras, and a smaller one. Now, I may need to either get a bigger pot or divide that aloe vera again!

For this year's garden I'm growing varieties of tomato plants, squash, peppers, herbs and flowers--my usual. Our university has an amazing plant sale that's coming up soon though - that's where I get the unusual. Agriculture students grow a huge, interesting variety of plants over the year, and the school sells its surplus...best plant sale ever. If your university has an agriculture department, check into it and see if they have a plant sale. This year I'm on a mission for Purple Cherokee tomato starts and more of that wonderful pink lavendar!

Eat, Write, Dream, Stitch, Grow


No comments:

Post a Comment