Thursday, November 11, 2010

Moving Day for the Garden

There are days when the winter winds are arriving too soon! So in come the plants onto my long greenhouse sunporch. My hard-working husband has cleared the outdoor herb, veggie and cutting gardens and from now until May, I'll water my garden indoors!


But wouldn't you know it, we are having a string of beautiful 70-degree days now. It's a tough call, but I'm not lugging heavy rosemary plants and buckets of impatients back and forth! They've arrived in their winter home.
I really miss the fresh garden basil and tomatoes. But I've got an herb nursery going on--the baby basils are coming along, there's fresh dill, and robust Italian parsley making a comeback.

Next month, I'll plan an evening with my gardening catalogs and a mug of hot tea--dreaming of next spring's garden. There will be more cabbage and squashes and maybe a pumpkin. But oodles of tomato varieties--I've been inspired by a country lady to go beyond my canned tomatoes and salsa and do a pasta and a pizza sauce!

"The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry's cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.
The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I'll put a trinket on."
--Emily Dickinson

 I think all my eating, writing, dreaming and stitching somehow starts in the garden 
whether it's indoors or out.



 

1 comment:

  1. you take lovely photographs! I wanna hang out in your garden!
    ~laura P
    laurapallatin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete