Monday, October 12, 2015

Magical Monday Organizing - Stash Dash 2015

Coffee + Planning = Magic
Isn't organizing a magical thing?
I hope so, since I spent my extra time this weekend trying to get scraps of paper, this and that off my desk and into a place where I could find what I need when I need it.
After you're all done it does indeed feel like you waved your magical organizing wand. Ahhh.

The thing which started all this was very simple: one of those accordian files from the Target dollar spot. Yes, it cost one dollar!

I didn't know what I was going to use it for, and then I realized. It's the perfect size for the little pieces! Stickers, scraps, die cuts, etc. These are the things I use all the time for my planner, scrapbooking, art journaling, tags and cards.

When I cut up a pretty piece of patterned paper, I like to use it all. What has been happening is, those little scraps I'm not using right away get piled up into a tray. Lately, that tray has been out of control! Enter the dollar accordian file.
 Once I started sorting my scraps and bits and bobs, it was very clear what my categories should be. The little file came with a label sheet for the tabs. I decided that my labels did not need to be in alphabetical order -- I'm such a rule-breaker! Instead I put them more in the order of how I would use them. I put the kiss-cut store-bought stickers under the general tab of "stickers" and my planner stickers, which I usually download from somewhere and print on a shipping label sheet, under the tab "planner stickers." Then I had some cardstock scraps which were nicely trimmed, some were die cut, and others were clearly just scraps and they were sorted accordingly. Here's how it ended up looking.
 I plan to die cut lots of flowers and hearts soon, so I made a section for those. Nice, eh?
Kiss-cut Stickers, Planner Stickers, Scraps and Diecuts all organized!
I packed this organizer full to the brim, and yet it still closes up very nicely! It fits right into one of my cubby shelves, so it is at the reach for any project. It would also travel well. Mission accomplished.

So here we are in October, and every month I've made an effort towards the 2015 Stash Dash I started way back in January, tips and all. You can see it here: 2015 Stash Dash

 I've upcycled, recycled, repurposed, and tried to make the most of what I have. This year I've probably done the least craft shopping ever. Once I get my latest project, my beautiful stitched Midori Traveler's Notebooks finished and selling, you can be sure I'll be doing a Michaels-Hobby Lobby-JoAnn run (they are all within a couple of miles of my house, I literally could run!). But I think this time, I'll be a smarter craft shopper--buying what I'll need and use, and not what will collect dust in my stash.

Eat, Write, Dream, Stitch

 

No comments:

Post a Comment