Thursday, October 18, 2012

Overwintering the plants


 So the time has come to start picking all the healthy green tomatoes from the garden. The weather, while lovely most days, is not to be trusted here in the Ozarks. We've already had a frosty morning here and there, a violent thunderstorm and tornado warnings just a few nights ago, and my tomato plants are still loaded with growing tomatoes! So, I'm gathering in the green ones too and letting them ripen on the greenhouse. Because I don't trust the chance-of-frost--I've brought in a lot of plants too to start overwintering them. This means, I bring in everything I can onto my greenhouse sun porch (a completely enclosed room with tons of windows which is not heated or cooled), and I water most of the pots about once a week. It's kind of fun to have all my babies inside for the winter, and gives me a chance to do things like repot some of the herbs at my leisure. I think I'll dig out my recipe for fried green tomatoes--yum!!
Repotted my little flat-leaf parsley plant into an old ceramic pot.



Eat, Write, Dream, Stitch, Grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment